Discuss Distracted Driving with Your Teenager to Prevent Auto Accidents
Before handing over the keys to the family car, or buying teens one of their own, every parent needs to talk about the dangers of distracted driving. In the United States, car and truck accidents are the number one cause of unintentional death for teenagers. Distracted driving is high among teens, especially since most carry cell phones, and the way parents approach driving rules and the topic of distracted driving has a major influence on reducing distracted driving in teenagers.
What to discuss with your teenager about distracted driving
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that in 2010 alone, 3,092 people were killed in accidents caused by distracted drivers and nearly half a million people sustained injuries as a result of those accidents.
A Florida auto accident attorney advises that:
- If your teen owns a cell phone, set very strict rules about the use of the phone when he or she is driving.
- Establish clear restrictions against using the cell phone during time at the wheel – even hands-free operation can be a huge risk.
- Draw up a parent-teen driving agreement about what is and is not acceptable driving behavior.
- Insist that your teen wears a seat belt every time he or she drives.
- Discuss the need to avoid other driving-related risks, like speeding and drunk driving.
Teenagers are inexperienced, unskilled drivers and may lack the kind of experience necessary to identify accident hazards on the road. Personal injury attorneys know teens are much more prone to peer pressure, and therefore, more susceptible to dangerous driving practices.
Put an experienced auto accident attorney in Florida on your side
If you or a loved one is a victim of a distracted driving auto accident, you need Florida auto accident lawyers. Distracted driving isn’t limited to teens alone, and anyone can take their eyes off the road for a second and cause severe injury to another person.
When you bring your case to the law firm of Clark, Fountain, La Vista, Prather & Littky-Rubin you get over 100 years of combined experience in a variety of legal fields, including personal injury, vehicle accidents, product defect, medical error, brain injury, and business litigation. We serve clients in and around South Bay, Loxahatchee, Pahokee, West Palm Beach, Palm Beach, and Palm Beach County and offer free consultations.