W. Hampton Keen specializes in products liability and catastrophic injury cases throughout Florida and across the United States, having handled cases out of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Maryland, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia, among others. Many of the cases he handles involve design and manufacturing defects, as well as complex liability situations. During his career, Mr. Keen has achieved numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements for his clients.
Hampton has litigated successfully against almost every international automotive and tire manufacturer. Having litigated the cutting edge issues in the products liability field – from claims against Ford and Firestone for the recall of the ATX and Wilderness tires in the early 2000s to the sudden unintended acceleration cases against Toyota or exploding Takata airbags of today – Hampton’s goal is to protect the consumer and work toward the recall of any product that is unsafe and unreasonably dangerous.
Hampton has handled a broad range of personal injury and wrongful death cases throughout the United States, including automotive accidents, automotive products liability, airplane and other aviation related cases, boating and other maritime accidents, marine products liability, carbon monoxide poisoning cases, chemical exposure cases, construction defects, various consumer product defects, fire cases, premises liability cases, road design defects, tire defects, truck accidents, and RV accidents. Hampton and his firm are routinely contacted by other lawyers handling major litigation matters throughout the country who need the firm’s technical expertise and financial resources to pursue the litigation to trial. On occasion, Hampton also handles business litigation on a contingency basis.
Most recently in late 2015, the appellate court affirmed an $11 million dollar jury verdict Hampton obtained for his clients against Continental Tire.
Contact Hampton at email@example.com.
J.D. with honors, University of Florida, 1995
- Teaching Fellow, University of Florida, College of Law, 1993-95
- Senior Editor – Florida Law Review: University of Florida College Law
- Former College of Law Honor Committee: University of Florida College Law
- B.A., English/History, University of Virginia, 1988
- Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education
- Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney
- American Board of Civil Trial Advocates
- The Best Lawyers in America – Products Liability Litigation and Personal Injury Litigation
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Florida Trend magazine’s Legal Elite – Top 2 percent of Lawyers
- Florida Super Lawyers – Top 5 percent of attorneys in Florida
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- South Florida Legal Guide Top Lawyer
- Daily Business Review – Most Effective Lawyers Award
- Florida, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida, 1996
- Special Pro Hac Vice Admission to handle cases in multiple states throughout the United States including, but not limited to, Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Maryland, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- Florida Justice Association
- Speaker’s Bureau: The Florida Bar
- Barrister: Craig S. Bernard Inn of Court
- Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County, Board of Directors
- Co-Chairman, Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County, Pro Bono Night Annual Fundraiser (2011-2013)
- Chairman and Vice Chairman, Florida Bar Grievance Committee within the 15th Judicial Circuit (2010 – 2014)
- Judge: Pathfinder Award for Academic Excellence, Palm Beach County School Board
Hampton, his wife, and three children reside in West Palm Beach, Florida. Both Hampton and his wife are fifth generation Floridians.
During his career, Mr. Keen has obtained multiple jury verdicts in excess of $10 million dollars and resolved numerous cases before or during trial for multi-million dollar settlements in excess of $300 million dollars.
Hampton handled the briefing and oral arguments for the trial team that convinced several Florida Courts to allow a claim for punitive damages against Chrysler for designing and manufacturing a 15-passenger van that the firm argued the company knew was prone to rollovers. These court rulings were the first in the country on this issue.
Ultimately, Chrysler stopped manufacturing the van altogether and adopted a safer design in its similar vehicles.
In 2008, Hampton represented a family who lost their son in a car accident wherein Hampton contended the seat belt was defective and caused their son’s untimely death. The case went to trial against Mitsubishi Motors and a jury awarded his clients $11 million in damages, and the verdict was affirmed in December 2010 by the appellate court.
Although Hampton typically handles cases involving wrongful death or severe injury, Hampton earned a jury verdict of $513,000 for a client whom the defense argued had only soft-tissue injuries, as he had no surgery at the time of the trial four years after the accident.
After Hampton selected a jury in a California trial involving a trucking accident, which resulted in a client sustaining a severe brain injury, the case was resolved for a confidential amount that was more than quadruple the pre-trial offer.
In 2015, Mr. Keen resolved a wrongful death case involving premises liability and allegations of negligent supervision and training for the coverage limits of $4 million.
In late 2015, the Fourth District Court of Appeal affirmed an $11 million dollar jury verdict Hampton obtained for his clients against Continental Tire.
More recently, in 2016, Hampton resolved a complex case pending in North Florida previously turned down by several law firms for $3.4 million, wherein he argued that the improper design of a shopping center caused a motorcycle accident resulting in catastrophic injuries to his client.
Please see more cases handled by Mr. Keen in the Case Results section of the law firm’s website.