David C. Prather is a board certified civil trial attorney and partner at Clark, Fountain, La Vista, Prather & Littky-Rubin. For more than 30 years, David has represented injured clients in high-stakes cases, earning several of the largest auto negligence and non-surgical verdicts in the firm’s history, including a $35.2 million medical malpractice verdict on behalf of the family of a brain-damaged infant and an $11.6 million verdict in a negligent credentialing surgery case.
Focusing his practice on personal injury, medical malpractice, wrongful death, and auto negligence litigation, David has earned verdicts and settlements exceeding $150 million for his clients throughout Florida and the United States.
In 2014 David was named Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America® in Personal Injury Litigation; an award that was published in the Miami Herald and The Wall Street Journal. In 2013 and 2014 he was a finalist for the Board Certified Civil Trial of the Year Award by the Board of Legal Specialization and Education. David is continually included in prestigious professional lists, including Best Lawyers in America®, Super Lawyers®, South Florida Legal Guide, and Florida Trend magazine’s “Legal Elite.” He was appointed to the Federal Judicial Nominating Commission (JNC) in 2012 and 2014 by U.S. Senators Bill Nelson and Marco Rubio, and is a past president of the Palm Beach County Justice Association.
David is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, which denotes the highest level of professional excellence and ethical standards in the legal industry. In 2016 he secured the 38th largest verdict in Florida and earned a place in the “Top 100 Verdicts” in Florida for that year.
Previously serving as both an assistant public defender and assistant state prosecutor, David is an active member of the Palm Beach County legal and business communities, mentoring and helping to develop the next generation of professional and civic leaders. He is a board advisor and yearly sponsor of the F. Malcolm Cunningham Sr. Bar Association William M. Holland Scholarship Luncheon, and regularly speaks at schools throughout the county to students considering a career in law.
International Career and Business Alliance, Inc. awarded David for his philanthropic and industry contributions, naming him among South Florida’s 100 Most Accomplished Black Professionals in Law and Healthcare. A fitting title, indeed, as David has assumed leadership roles on more than 15 committees and boards, including the Florida Board of Governors and local bar chapters. His popularity within the South Florida legal community continues to grow. He is currently serving as Vice Chair of Florida Bar Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee.
- J.D., Rutgers University Law School, 1990
- B.A., Hunter College of the City University of New York, 1987
- Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education
- Best Lawyers in America® – Personal Injury Litigation
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- “Legal Elite,” Florida Trend – Civil Trial Law – Top 2% of Lawyers
- Florida Super Lawyer® – Top 5% of Lawyers
- “Top Lawyers for Personal Injury,” South Florida Legal Guide
- “Top 100 Verdicts” in Florida, 2016
- President’s Award, F. Malcolm Cunningham Bar Association, 2015
- President Award of Merit, The Florida Bar President, Gregory Coleman, 2015
- Friend of the Year Award, Palm Beach County Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, 2014
- “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America® - Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants, 2014
- Florida Supreme Court
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- The Florida Bar
The Florida Bar Board of Governors (BOG), 2007-2016
- Federal Judicial Nominating Committee, Vice Chair, 2019
- Professional Screening Committee, Chair, 2015
- Executive Committee, 2008 - 2014
- Budget Committee, Chair, 2013-2014
- Program Evaluation Committee, Chair, 2014-2015
- PEC Lomas Sub Committee, Chair, 2014
- The Florida Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Board Review on Professional Ethics, Chair, 2008-2009
- Investment Committee, Past Member
- Communications Committee, Past Member
- Disciplinary Review Committee, Past Member
- “Vision 2016” Committee, Past Member
- Strategic Planning Committee, Past Member
- Florida Bar Annual Convention, Chair
Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Board of Directors
- Ex-Officio Member, 2007-2016
- Professionalism Panel, 2013 - 2015
- Palm Beach County Justice Association, Past President
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers (IATL)
- Florida Supreme Court Historical Society, Fellow Trustee
- Federal Magistrate Selection Committee, Southern District of Florida
- Florida Justice Association (FJA), Eagle Member
- National Bar Association (NBA), Virgil Hawkins Chapter
- F. Malcolm Cunningham Bar Association, Board Advisor
- South Palm Beach County Bar Association
- North Palm Beach County Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Cuban American Bar Association (CABA)
- Hispanic Bar Association (HBA)
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers (FAWL)
WPBT2 Public Television
- Treasurer, Board of Directors
- Chairman of the Audit Committee
- Annual Sponsor, F. Malcolm Cunningham Sr. Bar Association William M. Holland Scholarship Luncheon
David Prather lives in Jupiter, Florida, and has three children: Christopher, Taylor, and Ashley.
- A $32 million verdict was reached by Partner David C. Prather and Nancy La Vista after eight years of trial delays for the family of a son who was born with severe birth defects due to medical negligence. After an appeal and two declaratory actions, the claim settled.
- Partners David C. Prather and Nancy La Vista secured an $11.6 million verdict for a man who was left brain damaged after surgery to insert steel rods into his spine.
- David C. Prather secured a $3.5 million settlement for a client who became a paraplegic after her driver’s seat was broken during a rear-end car accident.
- David C. Prather secured a $3 million settlement for a 21-year-old woman who was killed on her scooter by a person test driving a vehicle from a used car dealership.
- Two days before the jury trial was scheduled to begin, Partner David Prather reached a $1 million settlement for his client who was in a car accident and sustained a spinal injury.
- A $1 million settlement was reached for a Florida woman who tripped and fell while leaving her place of employment. She sustained a displaced tibia fracture and several ruptured knee ligaments.
- Partner David C. Prather secured a $750,000 settlement for his client who suffered injuries to his low back and neck, resulting in residual leg and low back pain.
- Shortly before trial, Partner David C. Prather secured a $650,000 settlement, six times the available insurance policy limits, to his 42-year-old client who required lower back surgery after a car accident.
- A $500,000 settlement was reached by Partner David C. Prather on behalf of a Florida man who suffered injuries to his back and neck following a rear-end collision.
- Judicial Panel Moderator, National Bar Association Region XI Conference, Jacksonville, FL – March 30, 2019
- “Know Your Worth: How to Ask for a Raise, Negotiate a Salary, and Compete for Work.” Florida Association of Women Lawyers Palm Beach County Chapter, Palm Beach, FL- February 27, 2019
- Mentor Speaker, Latinos in Action Speaker Mentor Series, Lake Worth, FL – January 9, 2019