There are many ways in which lawyers can distinguish themselves and demonstrate their accomplishments. Awards, accolades, publications and results show proficiency and professionalism, but obtaining board certification is considered the highest recognition of specialized knowledge, skills and competency in a particular area of law.
What does board certification mean and why is it such a big deal for an attorney to be able to say they are a board certified lawyer? Our West Palm Beach personal injury attorneys have the answer.
What Is Board Certification?
Board certification signifies the completion of the highest level of competency and experience among attorneys. There are more than 100,000 members of the Florida bar and less than 10 percent have met board certification requirements. There is good reason for this exclusivity as the requirements to become a board certified attorney are rigorous, time-consuming and must be completed every five years.
Board certification is an identifier reserved only to an elite group of legal professionals who must undergo a thorough screening, meet strict criteria and receive positive recommendations from peers and judges on both sides of the cases she or he has tried. Board certified attorneys must:
- Have more than 5 years of experience practicing law
- Try a certain number of jury trials (varies by certification field)
- Demonstrate substantial involvement in their certification field (civil trial, appellate practice, etc.)
- Successfully pass a peer review, including a detailed ethical and character check
- Satisfy the continuing legal education requirements for their certification field
- Pass a thorough examination in addition to the requirements imposed by the Florida Bar
- Apply for recertification every 5 years
Personal injury lawyers are certified in the area of “civil trial law,” since these cases usually take place in civil court. The Florida Bar keeps a record of all board certified attorneys and can provide their record to you at your request.
About Our Board Certified West Palm Beach Personal Injury Attorneys
At Clark, Fountain, La Vista, Prather & Littky-Rubin, each of our partners is a board certified attorney, which means we bring to every case experienced and meticulous knowledge of the law and exceptional representation.
- President and Managing Partner, Mark W. Clark became a Florida board certified civil trial attorney in June 1989, which means next year will mark his 30th year holding this prestigious distinction. He has also been board certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy since 1992.
- Attorney Donald R. Fountain, Jr. became a Florida board certified civil trial attorney in 1994 and received his national board certification shortly after in 1996.
- Attorney Nancy La Vista received her Florida board certification in 1997. She became a board certified medical malpractice attorney by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys in 2012.
- Attorney David C. Prather became a Florida board certified civil trial attorney in 2005.
- Attorney Julie H. Littky-Rubin became a Florida board certified appellate attorney in 2002.
Put a board certified personal injury attorney in your corner today! Call Clark, Fountain, La Vista, Prather & Littky-Rubin today at (561) 922-0258 and let us review your case with you.