The freedom a motorcyclist feels while riding comes with huge risks for bodily injury, if he or she is involved in an accident. Motorcyclists are thirty times more likely to be killed in a crash than someone in a motor vehicle. Cyclists are often thrown from the bike and hit by other vehicles, their bike or hit the pavement without adequate protection against serious injury. With some precautions, however, many of those injuries can be prevented.
The small interventions that can prevent motorcycle injuries
The cost of motorcycle accidents total $16 billion or more per year, according to The Government Accountability Office, and more than 4500 cyclists suffer fatal injuries annually. This cost does not take into consideration the devastation and personal grief and suffering from these types of traffic accidents. Motorcycle accident lawyers in Florida recommend that motorcyclists consider these guidelines for increasing the chances of surviving a motorcycle accident:
- Ride responsibly. Take a class with a qualified instructor to learn best safety practices while riding. You could also get a discount on your insurance.
- Always wear a helmet. Experts say that wearing helmets reduces the death rate in motorcycle accidents by 39 percent every year.
- Focus on the ride and the road. Motorcyclists engaging in distracted driving cause both motorcycle and car accidents. Motorcycles allow you to take certain risks on the road, but distracted driving can cost you your life.
- Be visible. Motorcycle accidents where a passenger vehicle did not see the cyclist occur all the time. Wear reflective or light-colored clothing to stand out.
- Wear protective clothing. Covering vulnerable skin can protect you from road rash and a long recovery.
Florida attorneys specialize in motorcycle accident claim
Motorcycle accidents can devastate both the victim and their families. Injuries suffered in motorcycle accidents need a Florida motorcycle accident lawyer to help victims get the compensation they need.